Saturday, January 1, 2011

One year later

Happy New Blog! I thought I'd check in on 1/1/11 with an update. Debby's been feeling a better; only a few aches and pains and other complications left. I've been getting called in for more overtime at work lately, which is good because I've made more money to help pay for the expenses of raising baby Cara, but is also bad because it leaves me less family time with Debby and daughter.

For Christmas, we went out to Sycamore to Debby's parents' place. Back home, the better decorated of our 2 Christmas trees (long story) looked like this:



A little too small for the Star Trek ornaments, but we put those underneath. We were also sent a baby-sized Santa cap from my aunt Frances, so I feel obliged to show this as well:



And of course, I have to mention the fact that we got to see the Chicago premiere of the Klingon Christmas Carol:



Now, Debby and I are both atheists, so according to Fox News, we're supposed to hate Christmas. As you can see, like everything else you'd hear on Fox News, that's complete bullshit. Speaking of which, there was a study done at the University of Maryland recently that showed once again how misinformed Fox News viewers are. Not only are those viewers most likely to believe crazy stuff (like scientists don't really agree that the climate is changing, or that President Obama was born in Kenya), they also are more likely to be completely wrong about government policy and legislation passed in the last few years. I feel sorry for people who choose to be lied to like this, but I can't respect them.

I'll have see if I can post here more often to set the record straight. Of course, I've got a lot of new things I'm planning on doing this year, but it's going to come down to finding enough time to do them and still keep all the Daddy time I want to have available for baby Cara.

I have to mention before I end this that even though 2010 was a fantastic year for me, it's very different from what I thought it might be when I was growing up. When I was a kid, I was a big fan of the 2001 and 2010 movies, and all year I've been thinking from time to time how different the future wound up from what was envisioned by Arthur C. Clarke. A recent Jankcast I was listening to that dealt with futuristic gaming summed this up nicely when they came up with the phrase "nostalgic for the future". Hopefully this time next year, I might be able to report that we saw some things come to be that we always hoped to see in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment