Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year, New Blog

Captain's Log, Stardate 219,710,852.93...

No, I don't think so. That's been used WAY too much already.

Besides, it's too formal. This isn't going to be any kind of formal journal, to be updated on a regular schedule, and it's not going to be focused on any topic in particular. In fact, it wouldn't be here at all if I hadn't seen that my friend Andrew had started a blog of his own to talk about his insights on writing at http://andrewdolbeck.blogspot.com/ which got me thinking about it. I'd like to do some fiction writing myself, but I suspect that on here there are some topics I'll post on more than others:

As a political junkie, I know I'll be putting down what I'm seeing happening in politics from time to time, and as an old-school gamer, I'm sure there will be posts of games I'm playing, new ones coming out, old ones revisited, and so on (The "Dungeon" part of the title of this blog comes from the Dungeons and Dragons definition of a dungeon: a place that can be dangerous, but is often also filled with treasure. Sorry to disappoint any S&M fans).

Mainly, though, I just wanted a place to put my thoughts down about events going on in my life for anyone that's interested. I have friends and family members that seem to be able to write long letters or emails on a daily basis. Now, I'm not much for writing letters or emails to begin, and I'm also not too keen on phones, so for those folks that like to "keep in touch", this site will let be a good place to let them know what's going on without me getting overwhelmed/frustrated trying to respond to calls/letters/emails. I'm just not a "chatty" enough guy, I suppose.

I should probably start with the recent big news: We found out that Debby is pregnant, with the birth date expected to be around August 1st. It will be the first child for either of us, and I've had some friends ask me if I'm scared shitless yet, but that doesn't really describe how I felt after I found out. I was happy of course, both of us wanted this to happen, but what really surprised me was how quickly my mindset started to change. It seemed that almost immediately I was thinking of plans for the future, things I wanted to do and choices that would have to be made over the coming months and years. Even as I write this, I'm wondering if the child will some day read it, and what he or she will make of it.

Debby and I have thought of names already, and perhaps I will tell them in later posts, but for now I can say that whether it is a boy or a girl, we will be able to call him or her "C.J." for short. I do like ending a post with a tease... happy guessing!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Doc! The kids are already familiar with a PJ and an AJ (though they get them mixed up), so we might as well add a CJ as well. Do you and Debby have plans to get married?

    ReplyDelete